Sunday, January 23, 2011

"Much Ado About.." Feathers, Part 2

So in a prior post, I posted of a) my love of feathers - whether they be actual or print and b) use of feathers in fashion.  This one is dedicated to the use of feathers in home decor.  

I will start out with tableware.  There are lots of options in terms of plates and drinking utensils.  You can go abstract to literal, expensive or reasonable. 


Hand painted glasses on etsy, hand painted plates on etsy
Bottom: Kate Spade plates


Feathers have made their way in to bridal settings, with putting them in invitations, menu cards, programs and centerpieces.  I don't think this is limited to only weddings.  I think feathers make great centerpieces.  Over Thanksgiving, I made a centerpiece of brown feathers with branches and some plastic cranberries in the bottom of the vase.  It was about the same price, if not less than, a traditional flower arrangement.  The bonus is that in a week's time, I would have to throw the flower arrangement away.  The feathers lasted and are now stored for next year's fall decorating.

Feathers used in centerpiece on mantel and feathers in invitations/menu cards


Holiday decorating has even gone to the birds, so to speak.  This year in many places I found feather trees that served as decorations, in addition to feather wreaths.  The peacock wreath could definitely extend past Christmas in its use.
Feather trees found on etsy.com, Peacock wreath at Pier1 
There is the option of peacock printed bedding, like Dwell's below.  I also have seen many start to incorporate a peacock theme in to nursery decoration.
Dwell Studio Peacock Bedding Duvet Cover


For the bold, there is the option of feather-printed wallpaper.  I don't know that I could handle a whole room done in this print, but I love the idea of it for an accent wall.  In fact, in our next house it is something I am seriously considering for the office.  

Fern Living feather wallpaper
And finally, for those that are not as daring in their home decor to branch in to feathers, you can still add some pizzazz to your desk with feather printed stationary.
Feather letterhead on zazzle.com

So, what is your favorite use of feathers?  Has anyone seen other great uses of feathers in home decor?

No comments:

Post a Comment