Friday, January 7, 2011

"Much Ado About".....Feathers - Part 1

For those that know me, most know I have a mild obsession with feathers - especially of the peacock variety.  My dear friend Wendy at http://southernstuf.blogspot.com/ visited Washington DC zoo this past spring and took an amazing picture of a peacock, doctored it up and printed it on nice paper for me.  This adorned my office cube for months.  My old roommate Mariola gave me a peacock necklace for Christmas.  I have a plum peacock pillow on my couch.  I spent an entire summer a few years ago searching for the perfect feather (preferably peacock) print dress - which ended in great success!

Thankfully for me, there are so many options in terms of feathers now in fashion for myself in terms of clothes and for the home.  Feathers have even trickled down to the major retailers like Topshop, ASOS and Zara so you don't have to spend a small fortune to own a fabulous feather-adorned frock.  One of the things I love is that I have seen them used in formal and casual situations.  It is a trend that people of all ages and sizes can take part in thanks to the numerous options.

I thought I would share some of my favorite uses in terms of fashion in this entry.

First, for the bold at heart - feathered clothing:

Blake Lively in a feathered Marchesa gown.

Jason Wu feathered tank
Haute Hippie Ostrich skirt
Elizabeth and James feathered blazer
ASOS feathered skirt

If you aren't ready for a full-fledged feather piece of apparel, there are still options when it comes to clothing.
  
I have always loved the concept behind this brand called Your Slip is Showing (http://www.yourslipisshowing.com/).  The fact that you can wear a smart black pencil skirt to your corporate job and then add a feathered slip after work to go out with friends is brilliant, in my opinion.  I am not a fan of how costly they are, but I think the concept is a fairly straightforward DIY project.
Your Slip is Showing Ugly Duckling Feathered Slip
Your other apparel option is of course feather print items.  I know for a fact that these are readily available at all price points as I own a Liberty of London for Target peacock print shell that I purchased for around $20.  Here are some other options:

Rachel Pally Rowan Dress
Milly Alessandra Pleat Top
Now, if you are not ready to take the plume plunge full-on in terms of clothing, don't worry - you still have many options.

For shoes, you can go the route of buying shoes that come equipped already with feathers like these:
Manolo Blahnik Feathered Shoes

Jimmy Choo Feathered Sandal

Or you can go the route of these adorable shoe clips that can be found on etsy and other places.  This allows you to take a pair of pumps or flats that you already own and for a reasonable price add clips to the shoes to add some pizzazz:



Feathered shoe clips available at RachelLarraine on Etsy

If shoes aren't your flight of fancy, there are still more options like accessories!!

You can go the jewelry route which includes metal pieces in the shape of feathers, bracelets and necklaces that have a print of a feather (or like my Christmas present - a peacock), actual feathers attached to necklaces and earrings
Alkemie Jewelry feather necklace
You can go the route of feather-adorned clutches and handbags, like this memorable one in Sex and the City:

SJP in Sex in the City with Ferragamo feathered clutch
Then you can go with feathered hair accessories.  With Gossip Girl spurring designer headbands and hair accessory comebacks coupled with the boho trend, feathered hair accessories are easy to find and very on-trend.  Also on trend are hats, like fedoras.  You can easily add a pin or feather to the brim of your hat for some extra style pizzazz.







Lastly is pins, which you could add to blazers or whatever you see fit.  I loved this blazer from Anthropologie, but it went on massive sale before Christmas and sold out quickly.  I received for Christmas a similar blazer, in terms of pattern, from Lucky Brand and purchased some feathers and "make your own pin" supplies from Michael's  and plan to make something similar to this.

Anthropologie Garment District blazer with Peacock Pin

So, there you have it - the fashion world, as I see it, in terms of feathers!  Stay tuned for another post-to-com on feathers in the decorating world.  What is everyone's thoughts on feathers?  Do you love or is it something you wouldn't try?  

1 comment:

  1. you have done a gud job i like youe collection of Peacock Feather Hair Accessories ..Some nice collection is also availble on fashion blog..

    ReplyDelete